Tuesday, 4 September 2007

Living together

Kate and I are getting married. You know this already. However, as a warning to anyone else planning on embarking on what I can only describe as a 'relationship', I have a peculiar side effect to report on.

We appear, to all intents and purposes, to be becoming the same person.

At first, it was just the ordinary stuff. We lived in the same house, which meant we used the same kitchen and shared milk. Well, it's perfectly possible to share milk with someone and not actually be them.

Obviously, since we were, as they say, "going out", we tended to be at the same social events. At the time, it seemed we were separate entities, but now I'm not so sure....

A worrying step occurred a few months back, but we missed it at the time. Kate ceased working at BP, and a little while afterwards started working in Climate Change. For the UK Government. As a Civil Servant. That's right. We are doing the same job.

Now we think the same things. I don't mean opinions here. I don't mean "We both think John Humphrey's shouts too much on the Today Programme". Lot's of people think that, and I'm only one of them, not all of them. No, I mean we make the same mistakes. Yesterday we both cycled to work. We both arrived to find neither of us had packed a shirt to wear. Today we both left our wallets on our desks at work and left the building. Now we can't go our for groceries.

I'm terrified. Are we now truly gestalt? What will happen tomorrow?

No comments: