Genuinely bemused, and worried, by current state of the negotiations.
EU have consistently said that without NI backstop there is no deal.*
PM seems to be in total denial. Keeps saying (I paraphrase), "I'm afraid my Parliament won't agree (to the thing I've already signed up to)."
We are heading towards no deal, simply because the PM refuses to realise that the EU aren't going let us back-slide on something we agreed in December.
For her to go to the EU this week and not have anything new to say is genuinely staggering.
The deal is done, at technical level. If there's no political will to agree to it, no amount of further negotiation or summit meetings will help.
Real concern is that we stagger on like this until the economic consequences are so bad the PM, or her replacement, has to fold. By which point we will have done significant, perhaps irreversible, damage to UK economy. Damage which was entirely avoidable.
* I suspect this is at least as much to do with "You signed this in blood in December. Now you want to renege. If we let you renege on this what else will you try to renege on, later?" as it is with the genuine need for a backstop. But the reason for this EU red line is not really the point. The point is that it is a red line.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment