The combination of wine, Suede and having only just put the chips in the oven is a potent one. I have at least 10 minutes spare to write something.
Suede always makes me want to write. I think it's because it the band meant something to at least 3 of my closest friends at different times in my life, even if I was more into Pulp. (As an aside, the newish album, The Blue Hour, is excellent). The band certainly featured in a piece written by J-P, and J-P was a far better writer than me, something of an insipiration. No, more than that. Definitely an inspiration. Quite a lot of the time I write because J-P wrote, brilliantly.
But what to write? I can't just dwell on Britpop. Coming Up was released 24 years ago. We can all play the game. 26 years before coming up was ... Exile on Main Street. Though personally I'm not a particular fan of Exile. Hearsay, I know. Anyway, Super Fly was released in 1972 and Super Fly is the film soundtrack. Nothing else comes close.
Brexit is irreleavnt. I realise I am far more excited about the 6 Nations starting than Brexit. This is not to suggest that Brexit isn't important, or shit, but 31st Jan is irrelevant in the grand scheme. It's the slow puncture, not the crash, the matters. And England play in Paris tomorrow. Bread and circuses. But it's a good circus. And as a Civil Servant, I'm not going to run out of bread any time soon.
Such cynisim. Can I come up with something uplifting? Brett Anderson is crooning about a picnic on a motorway, which rather sums things up really. No, it's not that hopeless. The boys are wonderful. K has painted over all the horrible marks on the paintwork on the groundfloor and as such the house looks immeasurably better. We are off to Devon in a couple of weeks. It will be fun.
But where is the connection with the universal? Well, I might have some news in that direction but nothing is confirmed yet, so I'll hold fire for now...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment