Friday, 19 June 2020

Who can I be now?

So, a conversation got me thinking. My new role is hardly the pivot Bowie made when he abandoned Glam Rock (Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs) for Plastic Soul (Young Americans). 

As Alexis Petridis put it, “just how influential Young Americans was didn’t become fully apparent for another decade… And Bowie made the transition seem effortless”. 

(Though personally I find the transition from that to “Station to Station” to be an even more remarkable evolution)

I don’t imagine a stint as on climate science will have quite the impact that either of those albums had (and we haven’t even got to Low yet…) On the other hand, I’m ingesting significantly less cocaine than Bowie was during this period. Which is good, as we need to save up for a new kitchen.

Yeah. So, 6 years, 3-and-a-half jobs, a lot learned. I’m not going to talk about what I did (who cares?) but what I learned, which is relevant to anyone interested in climate change, particularly from a UK perspective (though doubtless some of this applies elsewhere, too). I'm going to send a version of this article as an email to my mother and she'll have to pretend to be interested...

No comments: