So, as we say goodbye to 2021, I think we can all agree that it was an interesting year, for those of us which survived it. I shall not say that "I hope the worst is behind us", as we all said that at the end of 2020, and look how that turned out. Is "pray for swift and silent death" a little too ... pessimistic? It's certainly been a good year for optimists, though I am personally pleased that the Home Secretaries attempts to make "naysaying" and "wokeness" capital crimes was dismissed by the Courts. "More power the Courts!" I say. Quietly. Very quietly, given the neighbours.
The clear Highlight of the year for us was F's offer of a place at Hogwart's School of Witchcraft & Wizardry which we accepted -- rather rashly as it turned out -- without a second though. We probably should have read to Ofsted report. Anyway, to cut a long story short, following the incident with the troll in the girl's toilets, F will not be returning to Hogwart's in the spring term. He feels that he will be far safer, and better supported by the teachers, at Smeltings. For legal reasons I won't say more, except to say that a settlement has been reached.
He remains penfriends with a number of the children he met in September, so we've kept the owl. Which has also solved the mouse problem in our kitchen.
We finally made progress on getting the house fixed up. We've chosen a delightful hand-made sustainable oak (from the carefully managed Bialowieza forest in Poland) kitchen, with spring loaded doors, each using a different grain on each door to represent the cupboard contents. The changes in diet we've seen in the UK over the last 12 months necessitated some last minute design changes -- the salad section is obviously totally redundant now! -- and we've had to incorporate additional cupboards for stocking-piling tinned 'ham'. Personally I found ripping the existing kitchen out to be cathartic, and also helpful, as by burning the old cupboards we were able to heat out home this winter -- and how many of us can say that!? -- but unfortunately our new kitchen is not yet installed, as it is caught up in the queue for Dover. Latest online updates -- yes! we do get signal from time-to-time!! -- suggest it's reached in the Belgian border, so we hope to have it installed in the spring. (That's Civil Service "in the spring", not actual "spring". i.e. by September).
I'm adjusting to life as a supported of a Championship side very well thank you. I have high hopes for a top six finish for Arsenal this season, though I confess the re-signing of Ozil, followed by his Siberian exile, did rather confuse me. Rumours are that he's busy chopping firewood to keep the boiler running at the Emirates, though I can't see how they are managing to smuggle the logs across the blockade.
Shame about cricket, but at least we have the memories.
It's been a tiring year, professionally. I wasn't expecting to get involved in vaccine roll-out at the start of the year, but by October, with things as they were, I was happy to roll up my sleeves and get stuck in. I've been spending most evenings at the office -- nothing to do with the shell o the kitchen! K is totally fine and very understanding!!! -- refining the Gantt chart. Obviously the Civil Service Oath of Allegiance and Servitude (which replaced the antiquated and much mocked "Civil Service Code" in February) prevents me from saying too much (though oddly not from driving around the country with my family during the ongoing pandemic -- it is odd that they felt the explicit need to write that in -- as if we could afford the fuel!) but pretty sure we've cracked it now. Granny will be done by the end of January and we'll all be there by the summer. (See above)
K took a career break this year, in order to focus on the things that really matter for us all. Largely food production. Her beautiful turnips are an example to us all.
I think J has enjoyed the year most of all. The shortened school-terms, excellent weather (the spring rainfall led to the best growing season in recent memory around here, though obviously we feel bad for the people of Gloucester and hope that they can find somewhere -- not here!! London is full!!! -- to settle soon) and time spent on the land really chimed with his desire to get away from 'book learning' and get his fingers dirty. Odd, isn't it? A year ago, I had vain hopes that he might make it as a junior solicitor in a small provincial firm, and now look at him! He'll out-earn us all!!
F. now wants to be a lorry driver when he grows up. I'm worried about the hours, but it's better than "wizard" I guess.
I'd love to write more, but the battery is running low, and I can only really charge the thing on a Friday, when my boss takes the afternoon off and I can sneak into her office and plug this in. Electricity theft is frowned upon -- pretty deeply actually -- in the office these days, but everyone does it. Which does seem fair, given the public pay position. Still, the food boxes are very generous and the trip home is reasonably safe so long as you pedal fast and don't stop to help any strangers.
I have to say, I'm really looking forward to 2022. Carrie Symonds is a massive improvement on Starmer, and I think she'll really give Mr Gove a run for his money. (We aren't allowed to talk about the former PM, but I do wonder if they'll ever get to the bottom of it...). There's an awful lot to look forward too, I think! Keep yer chin up, as Gareth Southgate would say. Shame about Gareth...
Stay well! Don't waste food!! A brighter future awaits!!!
PS - Does anyone know anyone who wants to buy any "Galleons"? We will accept Pounds Sterling only in return.

No comments:
Post a Comment